Monday, January 30, 2012

Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. ~Albert Einstein


















































I have such mixed emotions about Maddie starting school on Thursday. On one hand I am incredibly excited for her. I loved school and I am still friends with some of the wonderful people I met in the first few years of my education. I never took the 'education' or academic side of school terribly seriously, but I adored making friends and learning from some of the great teachers I met along the way.

On the other hand I am terrified. Up until now, we have been able to protect Maddie to a degree. She has had the freedom to just be Maddie. We have celebrated her passions and marveled at her development and creativity. The pre-school she attended last year was like a beautiful garden playground over looking Sydney Harbour. Her teachers were incredible. They helped us lay the foundations (being considerate, making friends, developing a thirst for knowledge, understanding self worth, contributing etc), but they also encouraged play, laughter and just being kids. Now, for the first time, she has to 'fit in'.

I remember watching a wonderful speech given by the magnificent Ken Robinson about how schools can kill creativity and every word made SO much sense to me.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html

As Maddie begins school, my greatest hopes for her are that...

- She has confidence in herself and knows what a magnificent little soul she is.
- She listens and learns but also respectfully challenges when she believes in something.
- She treats everyone she meets with respect and kindness.
- She celebrates her achievements and feels true joy when she works hard and accomplishes something.
- She learns to lose gracefully and understands that making mistakes is sometimes the best way to learn.
- She makes lovely friends and treasures them.
- She has teachers that celebrate who she is and encourage her to follow her passions rather than make her 'fit in'.
- She remembers to laugh and not take it all too seriously.
- She eats her fruit and remembers that going to the toilet is always more important than playing!

Most of all, I hope that she knows that intelligence comes in all shapes and sizes, and although school is a wonderful step in growing and developing, that she is much more valuable than the grades she gets or how quickly she grasps maths / science / English etc! May she develop a true love of knowledge and may studying be a discovery and a joy rather than something she 'has to do'.

One thing is for sure. Simes and I will be behind her every step of the way. As Cyndi Lauper said 'If you're lost, you can look and you will find me. Time after time. If you fall, I will catch you I'll be waiting. Time after time.'

Truth is, I prefer the Eva Cassidy version (may she rest in peace).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJ3GCWTqqs

Go for it little Mads. We've got your back kid xxxx

1 comment:

BabyMac said...

We spent (seriously) 20 minutes yesterday afternoon showing Daisy how to do up and open the clasp around her waist on her BACKPACK. Surely these kids can't be ready? I mean, of course they are, but ohmygoshtheywerejustborn Will be thinking of you Thursday xx